Exact Match Domains and Domain Best Practices
Looking to purchase a domain? There are many SEO benefits to owning an exact match domain (EMD) that conatins important keywords (ie: melbourneplumbers.com) here are a few tips to consider before settling on a domain name.
- Always be willing to spend 10-15% of your overall budget on the BEST domain name you can get. It will make a big difference in both the short and long run. Dive into the aftermarket, and send some emails.
- Skip the second level TLD’s - .mobi / .travel / .info isn’t worth it.
- No more than one dash in your domain (better to just skip dash domains altogether)
- 3-4 words max for .com EMD’s
- 2-3 words max for .net/.org EMD’s
- Best to build a Brand site on a keyword domain so you get both brand mentions and generic intent keywords (see Toys.com owned by ToysRus.com and associates)
- Geo-local EMD’s are great to own, and offer lower barriers to entry
- You're going to have to focus some efforts on "de-optimization"
Have questions about domains, SEO or web development? Contact Sage Web Marketing on 1300 11 SAGE